2.26.2008

Arin Crumley is a poser

And so is Susan Buice. Don't let these people fool you, they are not filmmakers, they are opportunists. I wasn't going to say anything but with this morning's announcement about their new venture From Here To Awesome (I know I'm giving them links here, but you need the video as reference) I just couldn't keep quiet. AND seeing as how this is the only real space I have on the internet to voice my opinion...seemed like a good place and time.

Why are they opportunists and not filmmakers? Watch the video and you'll see. Not only are they extremely untalented actors (moping and talking in a monotone voice isn't acting guys...being your hipster self isn't groundbreaking.) But they were just a group of kids that got together and said, "hey...we can make a film, too." They then spent WAY too much money, pissed off a lot of people by being neurotic douche-bags (I'm going on info I've seen in their podcasts about making the film), and all-around brats when their film only made it into Slamdance!? Let me make this clear...you are lucky to have been noticed AT ALL. Here's a little advice: don't complain openly that you're disappointed your little hipster relationship film made it to SLAMDANCE...my god. There are people who work ten times as hard as you, put 20 times more thought into their films, that have 30 times more interesting subject matter that are NEVER SEEN.

I know this From Here to Awesome thing looks like their answer to this problem, but it's not. The video boasts it has the answers to the problems plaguing indie filmmaking, but it doesn't... because IT'S STILL A FESTIVAL. It's still only going to accept 2 percent of what's sent to it. No one is going to make profits like their film did.

Why are they posers? Why are they opportunists? Because the only reason they're doing this is to proclaim themselves Indie Film pioneers. You notice that they're doing this instead of making another film... because they are not filmmakers...nor were they ever. I agree that there are many problems with Indie Filmmaking right now. I also agree that the internet is the next distribution platform. Sites like IndiePix and Truly Indie are leading the way and taking chances. But an online festival run by people who just want to be famous and cash in is not the answer. I say do it yourself, don't help the posers of this world steal the glory off your hard work.


Cheers
John

No comments: